Long Island Domestic Violence Defense Lawyers
Call (631) 816-2684 for Help Today.
Domestic Violence is a general term used to describe many different charges when the complaint is made by someone with whom you have a close relationship. The person can be a spouse, the mother or father of your child, or even a girlfriend / boyfriend if you live together.
Examples of domestic violence charges include:
- Aggravated Harassment
- Violation of an Order of Protection (Contempt)
Domestic violence cases are treated very seriously by the courts. All Long Island counties have set up special courts to deal with these cases. In many instances, the court will issue an Order of Protection that forces the accused to move out of their own house.
A Domestic Violence conviction can result in a sentence of probation or jail, and you may be forced to attend many months of costly counseling. In order to avoid these serious consequences, you will need an experienced Long Island domestic violence lawyer.
If you’ve been accused of domestic violence, you should waste no time in securing aggressive legal defense. Work with Laurence A. Silverman & Associates and experience the benefits of a firm marked by the following qualities:
- Together, our legal team has more than a century of experience. We are ready to carefully listen to the details of your case and build an effective defense strategy on your behalf, whether you were just recently accused of domestic violence or an order of protection has already been placed against you.
- Everyone on our team familiar with all the laws that commonly apply to domestic violence charges. In some cases, a dismissal can be obtained if the person who made the complaint refuses to come to court.
- We have a thorough understanding of the laws that commonly apply to assault charges. In some cases, a dismissal can be obtained if we can prove that the complainant did not have a real injury.
- Our team is familiar with all laws that commonly apply to aggravated harassment charges. These charges frequently involve a telephone call. In some cases, a dismissal can be obtained if it can be proven that the person who made the complaint was the one who made the phone call.
- We have a full working knowledge of the rules that apply to orders of protection. We know that you have the right to an immediate hearing to challenge the order, and we are prepared to fight for you to have the right to return to your home.
- The attorneys at Laurence A. Silverman & Associates have been regularly appearing in all Courts in Suffolk, Nassau and Queens Counties. Additionally, Attorney Silverman has served on the Board of Directors of the Suffolk County Criminal Bar Association (made up of lawyers, prosecutors, and judges).