Long Island DWI Lawyer
Fighting DWI Charges in Suffolk County
If you or someone you know is under arrest for DWI, call our experienced Long Island DWI lawyers at Laurence A. Silverman & Associates immediately! We are available at all hours, 24/7 for your convenience. Arrangements can be made for one of our attorneys to contact the police right away and protect your rights.
Our team of DWI lawyers in Suffolk County has 100+ years of aggressive trial experience along with thousands of cases behind us. We have been defending clients since 1985 and have found that immediate intervention is crucial to effective legal representation.
What are the Penalties for DWI in New York?
Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) is the crime of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The penalties for first-time offenders can include jail, forfeiting your car, and long-term revocation of your license. During a routine traffic stop, law enforcement officers can ask to smell your breath and look for signs of intoxication.
Suffolk, Nassau, and Queens Counties are very tough on drunk drivers and they are getting tougher all the time. If you have been in an accident with a car, truck, or pedestrian, even if it was not your fault, the officer will also have the right to examine you.
The officer can demand that you perform field sobriety tests. Once you are arrested, you may be asked to take a breath test, blood test, or urine test. If you refuse, your license will be suspended immediately.
An arrest for driving while intoxicated in New York could result in serious legal consequences, including:
- Heavy fines
- Community service
- Mandatory drug and alcohol treatment
- Driver’s license suspension
- Jail or prison time
Charged with a DWI in New York? Call Laurence A. Silverman & Associates at (631) 816-2684 or contact us online to meet with a Suffolk County DWI lawyer. Se habla Español.
How To Get a DWI Dismissed in NY
In NY, DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) is a serious offense with severe penalties. If you have been charged with a DWI on Long Island, it is important to seek the advice of a qualified and experienced DWI lawyer at Laurence A. Silverman & Associates as soon as possible. An experienced Long Island DWI lawyer from our firm can help you understand your legal options, assess your case's strengths and weaknesses, and develop a strategy to get your charges dismissed or reduced.
To get a DWI dismissed in NY, you will need to present a strong defense that challenges the prosecution's evidence and arguments. Your lawyer may investigate the circumstances surrounding your arrest and argue the following:
- Challenge the validity of the breathalyzer or blood test results -- there is not enough lawful evidence to proceed with the charges
- Argue that the evidence is not enough to convict you
- Argue that the police violated your rights during the arrest
- There was a procedural error
There are also several alternative options that may result in a dismissal or reduction of your DWI charges, such as participating in a rehabilitation program or pleading to a lesser charge. An experienced Long Island DWI attorney can help you explore these options and determine which one is best for your case.
Experienced DUI Defense Firm
- Our lead attorney is a skilled criminal defense lawyer who has been in practice for more than 35 years. Since beginning his practice, he has represented hundreds of DWI cases throughout Nassau, Suffolk, and Queens counties and has had many successful DWI jury trials.
- We will listen carefully while you tell us the facts of your case. We are skilled at evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of any DWI charge, and we know the most current, official policies of the local District Attorneys' (prosecutors') Offices.
- Our team understands how breath testing machines used by the local law enforcement officers work. We know the New York State DWI laws inside and out, and we use this knowledge and skill to aggressively defend your charges at trial or to negotiate a favorable plea bargain for you.
- Any of our Suffolk County DWI lawyers can represent you at the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) refusal hearing and at the Hardship Hearing in court. We know how to prepare for the hearings, and we know what evidence you will need to convince the judge to grant you a hardship license so you can drive back and forth to work.
- We can help you whether this is your first offense of if you have had multiple DWI offenses. We can give you valuable references to alcohol and drug counselors, alcohol and drug treatment centers, and OASAS, (New York State DMV) accredited programs.
- Attorney Lawrence Silverman served on the Board of Directors of the Suffolk County Criminal Bar Association, which is made up of lawyers, prosecutors, and judges. Our attorneys have been regularly appearing in all courts in Suffolk, Nassau, and Queens counties for over 35 years.
- We have represented clients all over Long Island, in Nassau, Suffolk, and Queens Counties. Our clients come from Patchogue and Port Jefferson, Riverhead and Ronkonkoma, Shirley and Setauket, Glen Cove and Great Neck, Hempstead and Huntington and everywhere in between. Read testimonials here.
At our law firm, we understand the seriousness of DUI cases in NY, including DWI and aggravated DWI NY reduced. With over 110 years of combined experience and thousands of cases successfully handled, we are here to help you defend your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. We offer a free consultation, 24/7 availability, and Se habla Español. Contact us to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Long Island DWI lawyers.
ContactLaurence A. Silverman & Associates at (631) 816-2684 for a free case evaluation with one of our DWI lawyers in Suffolk County. Spanish-speaking services are available.